Hi there! I am Alex Weehuizen – a doula, mother, and teacher with a passion for nurturing child development with attuned care and supporting families through their transition to parenthood.
After working as a qualified nanny, I pursued my interest in early childhood education, graduating from Victoria University with a Bachelor of Education (ECE). Working in this field enabled me to develop supportive relationships with parents and their children while gaining experience with diverse family dynamics.
During my formative years as a teacher, I became keenly interested in infant development, eventually realising that my calling lay in supporting families and their babies.
However, once I become a mother myself, I came to understand that becoming a parent was a complex and challenging experience, despite my background in education and care.
I observed that many of my peers also struggled with the realities and pressures of parenting, particularly in the early months of their baby’s life. This realisation ignited a passion in me to support families during their transition to parenthood. After extensive research, contemplation, and conversations, I founded ‘The First Five Years’ in late 2020 (formally Nurtured Postpartum & Beyond).
My goal is to support, empower, and enrich families in their transition to parenthood. I offer a range of services such that are tailored to meet the unique needs of each family.
- 5 + years as a nanny
- 10+ years ECE teaching
- Mother to twins
- Certificate in Early Childhood Education & Care (Parenting Education)
- Bachelor of Education (Teaching) Early Childhood
- Newborn Mothers Collective Training (Postpartum Doula)
- Comprehensive First Aid
- Founder+Creator Precious Beginnings Wānaka
- Registered Circle of Security Parenting Facilitator
- Registered Circle of Security Classroom Approach Facilitator
- Motherhood Studies Practitioner Certification by Dr Sophie Brock
- Currently training – Holistic Sleep Coach certification with BabyEm
🧩Making sense of the First Five Years
💤1:1 Sleep Support